Join The Team
If you have the knowledge, the desire, and the drive, we have a role for you
Looking to grow in the security field? Have a passion and drive that goes beyond your education?
Urbane is seeking the most talented, driven, and intelligent interns to help our Security Services teams secure the largest and most interesting organizations, platforms, and products in the world. From large-scale cloud platforms to the newest mobile applications; global financial processing to regional healthcare providers; cutting edge devops environments to traditional corporate enterprises - Urbane is called on to help organizations face unique, highly technical, and critical challenges.
In this role, you’ll assist the Security Services teams, which include both offensive and defensive, in performing security research, developing internal tools, and delivering on client engagements, ranging from security assessments to solution implementations. Given your expertise and drive, you’ll face diverse challenges and gain invaluable experience. You’ll have the opportunity to excel independently while having an expert team drive you to achieve your best and back you up with the diverse challenges you’ll face.
With Urbane you’ll have the power to make a difference and face real challenges: improving environments security, advising teams on the most effective ways to address the core security problems, and address real security problems. Challenges vary week to week and provide a wealth of experience.
Sound like an exciting challenge and a cause you can get behind? Read on.
Who You Are
You should possess the following key character traits:
- Creative, out-of-the-box thinker who can leverage various domains of knowledge to create uniquely tailored tests and solutions for complex problems. You’re curious by nature, intrigued by how things work, and have an appetite to find weaknesses in their design and implementation.
- You’re passionate about technology and find entertainment in crazy personal projects (i.e., programming a USB Nerf gun and webcam to mess with your cat while you aren’t at home, building an enterprise-grade virtualization environment in your bedroom closet, or seeing how many neighbors think your “free” wifi is actually “free”).
- You prefer building, contributing, and leading over falling in line. You’re happy to take the initiative in building a tool or resource that makes everyone’s lives easier.
- A desire to stay current with the latest technologies, attacks, and hardening strategies. You’re a regular online reader of blogs and social media for the latest in security, enjoy good conference talks, and/or contribute to interesting projects.
- Highly organized and detail-oriented with the ability to independently prioritize multiple projects while still balancing personal goals. You recognize when you need help, and aren’t afraid to ask for it.
- Driven personality, with a desire to continuously improve, put in the hours, and deliver. You take pride in your work, and you want it to be the best you can do.
- Have a strong ethical compass and an understanding of ethics in business and information security. You’ll respect scope limitations, clean up after your attacks, and never access or retain data that isn’t pertinent to the testing.
- Maintain a unique and independent identity, but respect other business’ culture, including dress apparel, level of formality, and work schedules. We maintain a startup-style culture internally, while presenting a clean, elevated, and refined image to the rest of the world.
- Currently a US citizen or other permanent US resident.
- Current residing in the Chicago-land area.
What You Have Done
We care more about knowledge drive over pieces of paper to serve as proof. As such, we’re looking for the following:
- Currently pursuing a degree in a technical computer field, including, but not limited to, defensive security, offensive security, network technologies, software development, and information systems.
- Have a technical knowledge and understanding of mixed-technology environments, include diverse operating systems, network hardware, web application languages, administration technologies, authentication mechanisms, and cloud platforms.
- Developed or modified tools in scripting languages, such as Go, Ruby, Python, Perl, or Java.
- Have learned the core fundamentals of computers, all the way down to protocol stacks.
- Paid enough attention in English class to write good (or is it well?).
What We Prefer (but do not require)
- Are active in industry groups (e.g., OWASP, DEF CON Groups, City-Sec Meetups, or other security meetups) and/or conferences (e.g., DEFCON, ShmooCon, Summercon, DerbyCon, THOTCON, BSides, BlackHat, etc.).
- Have performed independent research, testing, or tool development on security issues out of curiosity.
- You prefer the words “information security” or “computer security” over “cyber”.
Who Is Urbane?
Founded in 2009 and headquartered in the land of da Bears, da Bulls, da Delays at O'Hare, and winters leaving you wondering why you haven't moved yet, Urbane is an information security firm focused on elevating the level of security and compliance through uniquely tailored highly-technical engagements. Engaging with a wide array of customers from Fortune to start-ups, our portfolio is never without opportunity to challenge personal skillsets and grow within the organization.
What's In It For You?
- Competitive hourly wage with flexible (but scheduled) hours.
- Training and professional development (yes, this includes conferences!).
- Captivating challenges, meaningful work, and ability to grow, both intellectually and within the company.
Up for the challenge?
To apply to join the Urbane team, please email Join Us @ UrbaneSecurity.com with the following:
- Email Subject containing the role you're applying for - The link below will assist in creating a sample email.
- Current Resume - Please attach your current resume in PDF outlining your expereince, skills, and knowledge.
- Who are _YOU_ - Generic cover letters are boring and a guaranteed route to rejection. Introduce yourself to us and outline what makes you unique, skilled, or otherwise interesting. Bonus points for outlining your personal passions or projects (whether it be technology, coffee, music, cooking, travel, athletics, outdoors, crafting, aviation, sailing, or other).
- What does it mean to you to be "Urbane" - Our team provides a top-tier level of delivery, both in technical abilities and in service. Briefly outline what you'll do to make your work "Urbane" in quality.
If you do not receive a response within two weeks, feel free to check in again with our team to ensure we received your application. All of us at Urbane look forward to hearing from you!Click to Email Us To Apply